Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Episode Twelve: Watching Sully

I remember playing outside on January 15, 2009 when my mom called me in the house. I went in the living room where she was standing watching the news. On the TV was US Airways Flight 1549 (AWE 1549), an Airbus A320, bobbing in the Hudson River with passengers standing on both of the wings. Everyone survived. No other aircraft in aviation history had safely ditched without any loss of life until this event. It truly was a miracle.

Captain Sullenberger and First Officer Skiles successfully landed their stricken airliner on the only runway they deemed the safest and most suitable: the wide Hudson. Sully strategically positioned the aircraft to land near a ferry terminal and piers where boats and rescuers could arrive quickly to save passengers. Sully is a hero, and rightfully so. He is the definition of a professional and experienced airman and should proudly wear that title.

I went to see Sully just recently with another colleague of mine. The film was powerful and emotional. A few tears fell throughout the movie and the scenes on board the aircraft, at the airport, and on the ground were detailed to the finest point. From the crew uniforms, the cabin layout, to the ditching and evacuation scene, you really felt like you were aboard AWE 1549.

For the three flight attendants on Flight 1549, they have a different story than that in the flight deck. Sheila Dail, Doreen Welsh, and Donna Dent had over 90 years experience combined and successfully evacuated 150 passengers from six emergency exits. The two aft doors were not usable; Doreen blocked them and directed passengers forward as water poured in behind her. Donna and Sheila opened the two forward doors; only one slide inflated at first. The other inflated after a few moments and passengers evacuated onto the slide rafts. They had no idea the aircraft landed in water until the doors were opened. On the rescue boats, the flight attendants continued to remain in charge and help passengers with injuries, shock, and reassurance. After some time, Donna and Sheila returned to the skies. Doreen retired her wings after 40 years with US Airways and is now a public speaker.

The majority of passengers interviewed after the event admitted that they did not listen or pay attention to the safety demonstration announcement. Some did not realize they had life vests under their seat and where their nearest exit was located. They did credit the flight attendants' authoritative commands and evacuation orders in getting everyone out of the sinking aircraft to safety. No matter how many times you travel, give us two minutes of your time for your own safety. Each aircraft is different. We want you to have a relaxing flight, but don't become complacent in your travels.

I hope that I never have to hear the captain say "BRACE" over the PA. I hope I never have to chant "HEADS DOWN, STAY DOWN" repeatedly until the aircraft comes to a full stop. I hope I never have to yell "RELEASE SEATBELTS, REMAIN SEATED" as I assess the conditions outside the door I am in charge of opening. I hope I never have to shout "RELEASE SEATBELTS, COME THIS WAY" while opening the door, inflating the slide, and getting into my protective position as I command passengers to "JUMP AND SLIDE, LEAVE EVERYTHING" while constantly assessing the conditions outside the exit. I hope it never has to come to that, but if it does, your flight attendants are ready and prepared to get you to safety, sometimes at the expense of their own lives. It is morbid that we think of a possible evacuation during every takeoff and landing, but that is our job, and that is what we are trained for.

Sully is not a movie about an airplane accident. Nor is it a fictionalized portrayal of one. It details the personal emotions and scenarios passengers and crew faced on that day, and the NTSB investigation to unearth Sully's decisions. His decisions, along with the training of all flight crew members and the will of the passengers to survive, makes Flight 1549 a truly remarkable and infamous event not only in the history of aviation but in the history of the world.

Image result for us airways 1549 flight attendants
The crew of US Airways 1549. Taken from the National Air and Space Museum Website



1 comment:

  1. I love how you took what we saw, what happened that day on the Hudson, and tied it to what we do every day. I'm proud of you and I know that if you ever do have to hear those fateful words, you will handle yourself with aplomb and grace and I know that today passengers will be ever so lucky you were on their flight.

    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
    Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
    Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things
    You have not dreamed of --Wheeled and soared and swung
    High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
    I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
    My eager craft through footless halls of air...
    Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
    I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
    Where never lark or even eagle flew --
    And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

    ReplyDelete