Monday, March 14, 2016

Episode Five: Adventures in Babysitting

One of the greatest highlights in my career is witnessing the sheer excitement passengers have when stepping on the aircraft set for vacation. From Spring Break college students to retirees yearning for sun-drenched days at the beach, their eagerness is somewhat contagious among other passengers and crew members.

My airline offers ultra low fares to vacation destinations from middle America cities, some once without regular air service, so we attract a variety of passengers. Some of our customers can finally afford a vacation; some drive more than three hours to reach the airport; some have never set foot on a plane before. I had the pleasure of welcoming an eighty-year-old man from Knoxville on his first trip on an airplane because he was finally able to afford it. I've served Make-A-Wish families travelling on momentous and unforgettable vacations to Disney World, ever so thankful for the opportunity. Every flight is a new experience with new passengers and I try in earnest to make a comfortable and enjoyable environment for them.

Children are by far my favorite type of passengers. In them I see myself as a young traveler excited more for the plane ride than for the vacation itself. I must say they are also the most attentive passengers in the cabin. While performing the safety demonstration, I catch a glimpse of them following along with the safety card unfolded in their lap (the one thing flight attendants dream their passengers would actually do) and making sure their parent or sibling also does the same. They proudly display their fastened seat belts as I perform cabin checks, and I remember hearing one young boy tell his mother "mom, the seat belt light is on. Make sure your seat belt is fastened!" I really enjoy their reactions when I answer their questions as to how high we are cruising, how fast we are flying, and yes, I have some extra wings in my bag. I don't think their smiles can be any brighter nor their eyes any wider. 

On one of my last flights when I was based in Orlando, I was flying a Cincinnati turn in the evening. We only had about thirty or so passengers on-board, but one little girl travelling with her entire family boarded already wearing a set of airplane wings.

"Well, I didn't know we had another crew member travelling with us tonight. Would you be able to help me later on with some flight attendant duties?"

She beamed up at me and nodded. Her mother smiled behind her saying "wouldn't that be lovely!"

After we completed the beverage service, I asked the girl if she was ready to perform cabin duties with me. I handed her some gloves and we, along with her dad who was taking pictures, walked down the aisle collecting some used service items from the passengers. 

I reminded her that "no matter how stinky the garbage may be, we always say 'thank you' and smile."

When we got to the aft galley, we put away the trash and then proceeded to check the lavatories to make sure everything was in working order and that nothing suspicious was inside. I then took her on a grand tour of the flight attendant stations and galley area. We took a look at emergency equipment, the jumpseat, the interphone, and how to stock the beverage carts for the next in-flight service. As she and her dad walked back towards their seats, I got on the PA and made an announcement to the cabin introducing our newest flight attendant. The cabin erupted in applause and some passengers gave her high-fives. She, and her family, were all smiles for the rest of the trip.

I've noticed that passengers, especially mothers, are very comfortable asking a flight attendant to watch their child, or children, so that a quick trip to the lavatory could be possible. At one point, I held a woman's newborn baby as she settled into her seat, and I think I told the other flight attendant to take my picture so I could show my mom; another time I sat with a very happy toddler as his mom went to change her other child's diaper. One boy thought it was so cool that I spoke French like himself on a recent flight to MontrĂ©al that he gave me stickers and high-fived me each time I passed by him. 

Providing sincere and impeccable customer service is an integral part of being a flight attendant. It is hard sometimes to maintain such a level after flying for twelve hours or in the process of dealing with irate customers, but I have learned that a smile or even a simple "how are you" goes a long way. I try to be as nice to kids on-board as other flight attendants were to me. Who knows, these kids could be my co-workers in years to come. By that time, I'd like to be senior enough to hold Christmas off :)

-EJ

No comments:

Post a Comment